Firefighters were called to the site of a “spontaneous combustion” of a Tesla Model S on a roadway in Rancho Cordova, California.
Officials from the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District tweeted on Saturday that they responded to a call about a Tesla that had been “engulfed in flames” due to a battery fire.
Crews arrived to a Tesla Model S engulfed in flames, nothing unusual prior. 2 Fire Engines, a water tender, and a ladder truck were requested to assist. Crews used jacks to access the underside to extinguish and cool the battery. Thousands of gallons were used in extinguishment. pic.twitter.com/5dIXxo9hP5
— Metro Fire of Sacramento (@metrofirepio) January 29, 2023
Several automobiles went by as firemen hosed down the vehicle in a video uploaded by Metro Fire of Sacramento. Images were taken after the fire revealed a completely burnt front hood.
Two fire engines, a water tender, and a ladder truck were dispatched to the scene, and a total of 6,000 gallons of water were utilized to douse the blaze. Using jacks, firefighters were able to enter the undercarriage and put out the fire, and cool the battery, according to the fire department.
As far as we know, nobody was hurt in this incident.
“The vehicle battery compartment spontaneously caught fire while it was traveling freeway speeds on EB Hwy 50,” the fire department said in a tweet. “The fire was extinguished with approx 6,000 gallons of water, as the battery cells continued to combust. Thankfully no injuries were reported.”