Two Illinois Spring Breakers Died Sledding At Copper Mountain In Colorado

Two Illinois Spring Breakers Died Sledding At Copper Mountain In Colorado

In a sledding tragedy on Sunday night at Copper Mountain Ski Resort in central Colorado, two teenagers who were on spring vacation died.

According to a statement released on Monday by the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, the teenagers allegedly were riding tandem down the halfpipe when they launched themselves into the air off a sizable snowbank at the bottom.

The coroner’s office will establish the official cause of death, according to authorities, who added that “the two persons fell down hard on the hard ice below, suffering blunt force damage.” The 17- and 18-year-old lads were declared deceased on the spot.

According to the sheriff’s office, the sledding incident occurred at 8:30 p.m. MT.

The tweet below confirms the news:

In a statement, Copper Mountain Resort, which is roughly 75 miles west of Denver and adjacent to Breckenridge, said that the halfpipe was closed and roped off at the time of the tragedy. According to authorities, the lift and trail access shuts at 4 p.m.

According to the administrator of the school system, the teenagers were seniors at Prairie Central High School in Fairbury, Illinois.

A significant avalanche that occurred on March 19, 2023, and killed a skier in Maroon Bowl, Colorado.

“Both were great students, talented athletes, and most importantly amazing people,” said Paula Crane, superintendent of Prairie Central Community Unit School District Number 8. “They were role models for all who knew them, especially our young athletes throughout the district. The Prairie Central Community continues to mourn their loss, and will support their families, our staff members, and our students throughout the grieving process.”

Dustin Lyman, president and general manager of Copper Mountain, said that the resort’s whole staff was devastated by the murders of the teenagers.

“We send our deepest sympathies to the afflicted families and friends. We also want to express our gratitude to the local emergency personnel for their prompt action and the medical help they gave,” Lyman stated.

The inquiry, according to the sheriff’s office, is continuing.

You can depend on us to keep you updated if there is any additional information about this piece of news that comes to light. In the meantime, if you follow our Twitter account, you will be able to read the most current updates on news that is important to this subject. If you do not follow our Twitter account, you will not be able to read these updates.

You may also be interested in taking a look at the following more recent news that we have covered:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top